First dates can be really unnerving. You are not only meeting a new person, but you probably want to make a great impression. Nowadays, a lot of first dates happen after an online chat in a dating site, so you DO have some information and impressions regarding the person that you are meeting. Still, online photos in a dating site aren’t enough, and making the first date a good one, is rather important.
Here are few tips for first dates – some are for men, some for women and some are for both.Remember: take it easy and have fun. After all, it’s just a date. 🙂
First Date Tips
- Be confident (but not overly so): Women tend to enjoy confidence in a man, while there are many men who won’t like a coy woman. So, be a part of planning the date – decide together where to go and what to do, and don’t be afraid to voice your opinion.
- Keep it simple: You’ll be nervous enough without making a big show. Choose a familiar venue, or do something that’s easy and enjoyable.
- Don’t go to the movies: The dark scenery of a movie theater can be very romantic, but it’s not an ideal setting for a first date, in which you want to talk and get to know each other. Movies are good for later dates.
- Easy on the perfume: Girls and boys – don’t overdo the Eau de Cologne! You don’t want your date to faint, right?
- Brush your teeth: Go for a mouthwash, too. Better safe than sorry!
- Don’t give them the 3rd degree: Keep the conversation light and amusing! Avoid talking or asking about old boyfriends, girlfriends or any other Exes. This is a first date, not a criminal investigation.
- Go for comfortable clothing: We are not suggesting that you wear dirty jeans and a torn t-shirt, but you should wear comfortable clothes. First dates are tense enough, you don’t need the extra pressure of a tight dress or too-new shoes.
- Guys, pick up the tab; Girls, insist on going dutch: Someone will come out victorious at the end, but that’s the way it should be. Guys should suggest or insist on paying, girls should at least make a courteous move towards your purse.
- Listen, don’t just talk: Yes, that goes for the both of you!
- Turn your mobile phone off: Taking calls from your friends or reading texts is very rude and shows lack of interest. Only keep your phone switched on if you’re expecting a VERY important call.