Congratulations, you’ve decided to open up a small business! Whether it’s your first foray into the business world or you’re an experienced entrepreneur, you’re probably already thinking about startup expenses and the costs associated with financing a small business. With so many factors to consider, small business finance can be extremely stressful (if not downright overwhelming). Fortunately, there are many new services and technological advances that can keep small business expenses to a minimum. Here are five of our favorites- we hope that they’ll help you launch a successful and financially stable business.
- Virtual Office Services. Most businesses require a voicemail, a fax machine and a telephone plan. They may also require multiple extensions, an auto-attendant (automated “receptionist”), conference calling and other upgraded phone service features. With a virtual office package, all of these services can be purchased for a low monthly fee. If you want to create a professional image without spending a fortune on individual services, a virtual office should be on your list of necessities when financing your small business.
- Do-it-Yourself Websites. These days, every business needs a great-looking website. And, while you can hire an expensive design and programming team, there are also many websites that enable business owners to build their own website at a significantly reduced price. Do-it-yourself websites can support everything from ecommerce platforms to artistic portfolios and can enhance the professionalism of any enterprise.
- Online Backups. The last thing any business owner wants to worry about is losing vital information in a computer crash or chance act of nature. Keeping an online backup is a great way to protect your business’s important information. If your company doesn’t have many files from its inception, you can begin with a free online backup service, and expand to a paid subscription when you’ve amassed enough files. This can be a great way to save money while making sure that your data is protected.
- Reliable accounting. If you’re the creative genius behind your business but aren’t strong in the math department, you’ll need a reliable accountant that can help you keep your facts and figures together. Depending on the scale of your business, you may want to hire an accountant who can explain the necessary processes and filings with you. If, however, you are starting as a solo enterprise, you can take advantage of online accounting software that can keep your books balanced and, hopefully, ensure that your company will become profitable.
- Stationery and printed materials. No matter what type of business you’re in, you’ll probably need some sort of printed materials. Personalized receipts, business cards, and even shopping bags can help a business markedly advance its branding efforts. And yet, while personalized and printed items can be expensive, they don’t have to be. Ordering these items online can save the business owner money and time, as it eliminates the need to travel to and from the printer’s office.
Is there another business expense that you considered a critical when financing your small business? We’d love to hear about it!